Thursday, April 23, 2009

Classic can be crazy.

Recently 0when I heard that Geico Insurance commercial, it made me reminisce. The commercial says "I always feel like somebody's watching me". For those that do not know, that was a very popular song back in 1984, the debut single of R&B singer Rockwell. The song featured Michael and Jermaine Jackson. That song made me think of some of my Classic University favorite songs.

As matter of fact, I have a little known fact about that singer Rockwell. Rockwell is the son of Motown CEO Berry Gordy. I bet you didn’t know that did you?

Well anyway…I digress. Let me get back on the subject. While thinking about those Classic songs, their lyrics came into mind and into question. The answer is…there are some sick people out here!! Let me break it down and show you what I mean.

Just look at a few lyrics to the VERY paranoid song by Rockwell, “Somebody’s watching me”.

“When I'm in the shower, I'm afraid to wash my hair
Cause I might open my eyes and find someone standing there
People say I'm crazy, just a little touched
But maybe showers remind me of Psycho too much,”

I don’t even want to know what that stinky hair dude was smoking! However that is just one song. To further prove my point, check out some lyrics from one of the most popular songs in the entire 80’s decade. “Every Breath you take”, by The Police…

“Oh can't you see
You belong to me?
How my poor heart aches with every step you take.
Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you.”

WHAT?!?! If that don’t say extreme STALKER, nothing does. Sting said “Every smile you fake?” Woooooow, can you say “restraining order” boys and girls?

It is one thing to think something like this…but to write it down and put great music to it is beyond personality disorder! LOL!

I am not even done yet, Huey Lewis and the News had a song called “I want a new drug”, now check this out…

“I want a new drug
One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my mouth too dry
Or make my eyes too red…
One that won't spill

One that don't cost too much
Or come in a pill”

How crazy is that? Just out in the open with it! Back in the day songwriting was seen as more of an art so people put their heart and soul in to it. Due to this, there was a strong chance some Looney tunes (pardon the pun) were written. Real artist may well wake up in the middle of the night with a melody or a song lyric in their head and they had to play it or write it down…so it is possible to hear anything from a real artist.

Case and point, listen to the lyrics of one of the best artist of all time, Prince and the infamous song “1999”

“The sky was all purple, there were people runnin' everywhere
Tryin' 2 run from the destruction, U know I didn't even care”

Surely…Classic can be crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Im dyin laughin over here!!!! BTW Geico has the best commercials

    ReplyDelete